In the coming years, I am hoping we are going to be able to move home, not because our current home is not suitable but simply because we want to start moving into a little more space.
The housing market is now fast-moving and there are lots of houses coming and going on the market. With this in mind, we are going to have to narrow down our shortlist on what are key features we need in our new home. I know that over time things will change again and by the time we come to move they may have changed again, however, we need to start somewhere. I love spending hours losing myself in RightMove, looking at potential houses, dream locations and just watching where the market is going.
- Off-road parking – I am not too fussed about whether we have a garage or not but I would like to have space comfortably for 2 cars if possible. Where we live now doesn’t have any off-road parking and over the year it has got worse for parking. I just want to come home for shopping or an evening out with friends to be able to park up right outside our front door without worrying about it. It never used to bother me at all, but as time goes on the situation is getting worse and it has started to annoy me.
- Open plan kitchen – As well as having more space to cook and bake in a larger kitchen I would love either an island to sit and enjoy food or maybe even space to fit a dining table in the kitchen so we can cook and talk and socialise a bit more.
- Utility room – A place where the dirty washing, white goods and cleaning products can stay hidden behind the door. It is a constant stream of washing, drying and ironing in our house that I would love somewhere to deal with it, without it taking up the whole house! I wouldn’t expect it to be big enough to stand and do the ironing etc but just somewhere for the washing machine and tumble dryer, plus space to fold the washing would be handy.
- An office space – I have nothing urgent with work that means I need to be looked away from everyone however sometimes I need to have a little bit of quiet to get on with some work. If I can find a little bit of space that I could close the door occasionally would be great.
- Family room – If we could have a room for a family time the would be great. Somewhere that we could have an either some retro machines, a pool table or air hockey table for example. It would be great if it was big enough for some chill-out chairs so when friends are over we can spend time in there but I think that may be a bit more wishful thinking.
I am realistic though, I realise there are a lot of things on this list that I would love to have and not all of them may be possible in our budget. When the time comes to start the plan for putting down roots somewhere else we are going to need to take a long hard look at what our priorities are as a family at that point. It is likely that the house prices are going to keep rising for a while.
We don’t know what the future holds and I am not letting go of the fact that we may be able to get a few if not all of these in our dream home. You just don’t know what is around the corner!
If you could pick any feature for your dream home, without having to compromise, what would it be?