A new year to me always signals the time for a new year spring clean.
This is not just your usual day to day cleaning, or even just tidying up after the whirlwind of Christmas. To me, I find the best time to clear the clutter and get that fresh start is now.
If you are finding yourself a little overwhelmed with all the post-Christmas lull on top of the current lockdown, here are my tips for a good new year spring clean. You don’t need to do it all in one day, however, start a little every day.
- Identify where you need to tackle – This could be your wardrobes, the kitchen cupboard or the odds and sods draw. There is plenty of places to organise, just knowing where to start can be overwhelming.
- Organise into a keep, donate/sell or recycle – You may have items that are no longer any good for you but they could be for someone else. Organise all of the items into keep, donate/sell or recycle piles to assist clearing them. Once you have these gone you will be able to give your home a good tidy up.
- Tackle the jobs you put off – All of us avoid doing certain jobs, for me, it is cleaning the oven, I hate it! Now is the time though to tackle those jobs! Cleaning things such as the oven, carpets etc will give your home that new fresh look.
- Refresh fragrances around the home – Many of us use home fragrances such as diffusers etc, if you do this, make sure you refresh these. Sometimes simply turning over the reeds help the fragrance.
- Bring out the lighter bedding – During the winter months I switch to brushed cotton bedding, however, come January I find switching to lighter bedding. It helps remind me spring is around the corner.
Getting started may feel a little daunting, however, once you have space back in your home and it feels fresh you will thank yourself. Plus if you manage to declutter whilst making a bit of cash, that is always a winner!